Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Functions of Definitions

Concepts serve as mental file folders that help us organize our knowledge about classes of similar things.

Definitions tell us what is in the folders.

One major function of definitions is to tell us what is and is not included in a concept, by giving us a test or rule for membership. A child who has just learned the concept of PLANT can point to some obvious and clear-cut examples of plants.

A second function of definitions is to clarify the relationships among concepts. Concepts are not isolated, self-contained units; they form networks of interrelated ideas.

A third function of definitions is to provide a summary statement about the referents of our concepts. Definitions help us keep our filing system in order by giving us summary statements about what is in each folder. A good definition condenses the knowledge we have about the referents of a concept, giving us just the highlights, the key points, the essence.

8 comments:

maria said...

Thanks for the notes.
the notes are good. they give the cleare knowledge of the concept.
But i think the notes lacks examples, according to my view,i think examples hepls so much in undestnding the ideas.

also i suggest you give us the possible refferences, the books that we san possibly afford to get, which tells the same ideas,

not only that but, if by any chance you know ways of getting the same materials through web sites, i'll be glad if you let us know the sites,

Thanks, and God bless you.

Nassor said...

As you are aware I give lots of examples in class, thats why classes are important, and this blog is simply made to assist you in case you missed something.

I have a few books in my office and can be borrowed and you make photocopies of things you think are good for you.

Plus you can simply Google search anything we study in class! One site the I like most is called Mission Critical at: http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/itl/

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate that you are visiting it.

ngozingozimatrida said...

ofcourse am happy today after reading the function of definition because to be honest i was just defining things without knowing if am defining or explaining,

to speak the truth i was not even attending the lecture but through this blog i can asure you that its like i was in lecture with my fellow student

thanks a lot

ngozingozimatrida said...

ooooh! sorry is not thatsikufika kwenye lecture makusudi but i was sick thus why i attended the lecture kwa kuchelewa,but nimesoma this function of definition na nimeelewa

thans sir.....

maria said...

Thanks,
i will visit the web site and take a good look at it.
Thanks for the reply

mariagoreth said...

marythe notes are good and understandable,i pray that exams will be the same.

Unknown said...

I have read the notes and I have understood them very well.These notes helps me to expand my knowledge about critical thinking because after reading the notes and compare with what you taught us in the class it increase my understanding capacity in this course.
Thanks for that and I promise that I will continue to visit the website in many times.

Unknown said...

I have read the notes and I have understood them very well.These notes helps me to expand my knowledge about critical thinking because after reading the notes and compare with what you taught us in the class it increase my understanding capacity in this course.
Thanks for that and I promise that I will continue to visit the website in many times.